COVID-19, previously called the Novel Coronavirus, is part of a family of viruses that includes the common cold, SARS and MERS.
Symptoms of COVID-19?
Similar to the common cold, COVID-19 is spread from person to person when an infected carrier coughs or sneezes. Symptoms of COVID-19 include: Fever, Coughing, Sore Throat, and in some cases Acute diarrhoea.
Prevention is the most important action you can take to protect yourself and your family from getting COVID-19. The Ministry of Health urges the population to:
- Wash your hands with soap and water
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if water and soap are not available
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneez
- Dispose of tissue immediately after using
- Cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow if you do not have a tissue
- Avoid touching your face
- Practice social distancing (e.g. no kissing, hugging, or hand-shaking, avoid mass gatherings)
- Stay home if you are ill
- Avoid close contact with people who have flu-like symptomsSanitize hard surfaces (e.g. table tops, hand rails, door knobs and trolleys) as often as possible